Tuesday 12 December 2023

The Vale –The Grim Reaper Edition!

TRIGGER WARNING ……..

Now, you all know how I very much enjoy a good peruse of our local free, monthly magazine to see what’s going on in the area and for a little local whimsy ……

IMG_5159IMG_5160

….. well, I don’t know what’s gone seriously wrong with it this month, but I’m afraid I’ve christened it “The Grim Reaper Edition”,  it’s so depressing …… so much so that I am afraid questions might need to be asked in Parliament

IMG_5175IMG_5176

It started off well, with an article about all the birds featured in the Twelve Days Of Christmas, which had me all buoyed up and merrily humming the tune out loud ……

IMG_5169

…… but after that, it sort of took a downward turn ………

IMG_5161

….. with our local station master, Gary, penning a not so cheery article on all the people who’ve departed this mortal coil in 2023!

IMG_5166IMG_5164

It almost had me wondering if there were even enough celebrities or people of great import left to take us into 2024 …….!

IMG_5167IMG_5168

It was interesting to find out the origin of an old saying pertinent to the celebrations of the month, but, I hasten to add, not typically The Towers …….

IMG_5172

…… but the ad next to it seemed to continue the not so jolly tone ………

IMG_5177IMG_5171

….. of demise …….

IMG_5184IMG_5183

……. memorials …….

IMG_5170IMG_5173

……… wax brimmed ears ……….

IMG_5174IMG_5180

…… and will writing …….

IMG_5181

……. even the gardening page had gloomy and rather unsavoury overtones ……

IMG_5179

……. with Love Lies Bleeding failing to thrive next to a septic tank ……  hmmmm I wonder why?????

IMG_5182

So, it wasn’t, perhaps, the uplifting, seasonally festive  edition of The Vale I was expecting and looking forward to …….

IMG_5185

……… more no, no, no …….. than ho ho ho ………. !!!!!!

4 comments:

Mr.D said...

Oh, dear. Never mind.

In Mexico, the amaranthus is used to make a very popular sweet. It is called "Alegria de amaranto," or just "Amaranto." They are bars made with toasted amaranth and honey. They can add pumpkin seeds, raisins or nuts, and they are very tasty.

Plus, the word alegría means happiness or joy.

There, I have brightened up one of the stories, at least.

https://t.ly/HWg-a

Anonymous said...

But I tell you what - you gave me a jolly good laugh whilst reading this blog post - so for me it wasn't all bad....but I understand what you mean, if you understand what I mean! JantheFan x

Anonymous said...

and Mr D.....I looked up your link. Amaranto looks rather delicious!

Mr.D said...

JtF, they are!