Tuesday 7 June 2022

Grounding Vegetables

Hugh decided to give his man “what does” the morning off, saying that he and Darrell would prepare all the vegetables for dinner that evening, ready for his return in the afternoon.

IMG_2199

Not that Hugh is that au fait with the machinations of the paring knife or peeler, unlike Darrell, who can get through a bag of spuds in a matter of minutes ….. 

IMG_2195IMG_2197

……. but mused Hugh, as part of Sir Elt’s entourage on the forthcoming leg of his UK tour, he thought channelling a “normal”, shared experience would help him conjure up ordinary memories to fall back on and help him stay grounded ……..

IMG_2198IMG_2200

………. should there be any tantrums or tiaras thrown at any time backstage.  If it was found that any of Elt’s “riders” weren’t quite right and shouting ensued, he would be able to stay calm and simply tell Elt ……. “ Darling, if you really don’t like the chrysanthemums or carnations in your dressing room, there’s probably a lady somewhere backstage, who would love them or take them to her own dear mum ……. I’ll just remove them and you’ll know you’ve bought great joy to someone else through your displeasure”  …….. unnecessary mayhem avoided and smiles all round.  What is he like?

IMG_2196

It has to be said that in the end Darrell did the majority of the scrapping, peeling and chopping, while Hugh trimmed a couple of broccoli florets under Darrell’s watchful supervision and instruction …….

IMG_2194

……. but what’s large net of sprouts and keeping a real life Sir calm and on track between friends?

2 comments:

Mr.D said...

Hugh? Grounded?

Pretentious? Moi?

I imagine it is quite a ball, when Hugh and Sir Elton of the John get together.

I love sprouts but they make me smelly. I don't eat them, for the sake of Mrs. D. I suppose I could stuff a few packs of Odour Eaters down my undies.

Mind you, cauliflower used to make me smelly, but it no longer does. (Either that, or my sense of smell has gone for a Burton.) I wonder if it is the same with Brussels sprouts. I ought to try them again.

Anonymous said...

We all find our niche in life, we all have things to offer to others - thank goodness Darrell can find his way around a knife or everyone would have been fainting with hunger and Hugh knows exactly what to do and say in a crisis. Kudos to both! JantheFan x