Monday 5 September 2022

Going All Medieval

Although we’ve been in Evesham for over six years now, for one reason or another, we’ve never actually done “The Battle of Evesham”, an annual weekend of historical enactment, pertinent market stalls and food …….

IMG_0255

So, this weekend as we’d got nothing else on, it would have been rude not avail ourselves of its pleasures, especially as it was free (well….. with a suggested voluntary contribution of £2, but that’s by the way).

IMG_0245

It did not disappoint ……..

IMG_0256IMG_0257

……. although we missed the actual “Battle”, that must have happened on the Saturday, when we went on the Sunday ………

IMG_0258IMG_0259

…… there was lots to see, including lots of medieval settlements with real life medieval people gathered round fires and tables tucking into rather plain looking, real life, authentic medieval food, not a Costa or BLT to be seen …. anywhere.

IMG_0260IMG_0261

We’d not seen so many boiling cauldrons since Halloween at Blitz Hill Open Air Museum years ago!

IMG_0263

Naturally, Nigel got well into it, proving his, until now, unbeknownst expertise at shooting a long bow and wielding a mighty axe in the axe throwing, not a discipline for the faint hearted spectator ………

IMG_0264

……. especially after “some of us” had also taken advantage of one, two or three free samples of mead, which were being proffered in great abundance from quite a few stalls.

IMG_0266IMG_0267

Darrell was also very taken by a humungous, statement Game of Thrones dining table set. All I can say is thank goodness The Towers is bijoux, otherwise goodness only knows what we’d have come home with if he’d had his way.

IMG_0274IMG_0276

Nigel was also drawn to a Turkish stall in the market area, outside the main medieval enclosure. Tenuous links to the crusades perhaps Mr D, font of all knowledge?  I had to rein him in saying that after so many odysseys, Greek though they were, The Towers did not need “…… just one more, teeny weeny evil eye”, even if these were Turkish!

So, a great day was had by all, although I feel one or two photo opportunities were missed by our roving photographer, especially of the many reenactors.  Our other regret was that our beloved niece and nephew weren’t with us, Bertie would have rocked at being a  fearless knight and Iris a beautiful medieval maiden, however, as soon as we got home, Nigel text T the S and the Lovely Laura to book I and B for next years event, it was that good!

3 comments:

Mr.D said...

I can't quite imagine Nigel with a full-size axe and longbow. Did they have various sizes, according to the stature of the person using it?

The Crusades did indeed go to Turkey. The Crusaders lost a huge battle there, when thousands of Crusaders were killed. Mrs. D and I went to two huge Crusader forts in Jordan, one of which is about 15 miles from Petra.

Mr.D said...

Message from Jtf, regarding pickled onions:

"Mr D. I am asking you very nicely indeed as it has bells and feathers on this asking message. Can you please divulge to those waiting with bated breath what is your special technique to avoid tears when one is a pickling onions. Thank you very muchly indeedy. JantheFan x. P.s. I'm sure Darrell would love to know too."

Well, Jan the Fan, I have very sensitive eyes, when it comes to cutting onions. They get red and runny at the sight of an onion, even if the offending onions are in a sealed plastic bag or even just on the telly.

Well, that was a slight exaggeration, but if Mrs. D is cutting onions four metres away, my eyes will water.

My technique? I put on my swimming goggles and stuff toilet paper up my nostrils. I then put my glasses over the goggles. I look very silly but I don't care. More importantly, it works and my eyes aren't sore for the next hour. :)

Anonymous said...

Mr D - that sounds an awesome way to peel and onion or three. I will keep this in mind - now to find those swimming goggles.....JantheFan x

As for the medieval festival - it looks good to me! JantheFan x