Monday 20 February 2023

A Blast From The Past ……. Crispy Pancakes

Nigel came back from town in very buoyant mood this morning, holding aloft a packet of what he proclaimed to be real life, antique, olden day food, like what they used to eat in the 1970’s – 80’s …… something different, perhaps, for Pancake Day, which is spookily tomorrow?!!!!

IMG_0203

The little fella was well up for giving them a whirl as they were not only loosely traditionally seasonal in a retro type way so could …….  erm …… form part of his historical commestible education! 

Picture1

Now, to my recollection said pancakes were originally made by Findus, although I expect that there have been quite a few company takeovers since then and that dear old my mother, God bless her, may have availed me of them once or twice in my dim and distant younger days …….

IMG_0204

However, when Nigel proudly showed said pack to Darrell, I swear I heard him (Darrell) mutter “Over my dead body” under his breathe, but I think Nigel’s natural enthusiasm and effervescence for anything new must have won him over ….

IMG_0207

…… because about five minutes into their conversation I heard Darrell swallow his culinary pride and bow down to Nigel’s persistent beseechment, saying that he would serve them up, just this once, for  Pancake Day luncheon tomorrow, with crinkle cut chips, peas, half a grilled tomato and a sprig of parsley,  “Purely” and I quote “…. for the advancement of Nigel's historical research and science purposes!”  

IMG_0205

Sorry Mr D, these are probably not available in romantic Mexico but no doubt a food stuff of which you have some memories? 

Picture of old picture of Findus Crispy Pancakes curtesy of https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/8554591/birds-eye-axes-findus-crispy-pancakes-replaces-with-new-recipe-new-name/

4 comments:

Mr.D said...

I have never seen them in Mexico.

Truth be told, I don't think I have ever eaten crispy pancakes, but, yet again, you have made my mouth water.

All together now.....

I WANT CRISPY PANCAKES, AND......

Anonymous said...

They definitely were made by Findus. I’ll be interested to hear the verdict on the pancakes.

Michele

Anonymous said...

I think I only had the Findus pancakes about once but I'm liking the new flavours of the ones from Birds Eye. I haven't seen them in the shops yet - must have a proper look next time I'm shopping.
JantheFan x

Seaside Karen said...

Ooh Crispy Pancakes! That takes me right back to being a teenager in the 1970’s. I remember my Mum bringing them home as an exotic new tea! We loved them almost as much as the even more exotic Chinese meals of the same time….they came with a little packet of dried noodles which you dropped in the chip pan and watched as they magically puffed up in front of your eyes! Magical memories xx