Tuesday 21 February 2023

It’s Pancake Day 2023……….

It has to be said, bless him, that Darrell was up at the crack of dawn this morning to get his various batters whisked, chilled and rested to perfection, in a kitchen where a little later his festive enthusiasm for tossing would hold no fear or bounds ……. yes, Pancake Day has come round once again!

IMG_0740

So, embracing the spirit of the day, we started off with some of Darrell’s most excellent, bijoux, lemon and raisin pancakes for breakfast.

IMG_0741

Then, as promised, a little later, we’re going to “sample” Nigel’s crispy pancakes of yesterday for lunch …….

IMG_0742

……. and then in the evening we’ll have a real life, proper Pancake tea, which will just need warming up as Darrell prepared them earlier, saying he really didn’t think he’d be up to two lots of tossing in one day, especially knowing just how many Nigel alone can get through in one sitting!

IMG_0743

Now …… although we are on the very cusp of Lent, much as we would really love to give up chocolate and other varieties confectionary, where would that leave our much appreciated seasonal reviews, especially with so many new products hitting the shop shelves at the moment!  ……..

IMG_0744

It’s a huge, erm ……. sacrifice (??) of a not holding back type nature we know, but we’re prepared to do it on behalf of all our followers who are going to do without for the next forty days and nights, so that that they can still make informed and considered purchases before the big day, without having to prejudice their own resolve.  WHAT are we like?

4 comments:

Mr.D said...

I would love to make some pancakes, but Golden Syrup isn't available here. And, in my world, Shrove Tuesday pancakes MUST be with Golden Syrup and lemon juice. I has been this way since time immemorial. Well, since I was a child, at least.

That is very noble and public spirited of you, to NOT give up chocolate for Lent! Well done!!

Anonymous said...

Totally understand the chocolate problem. My late Mum once gave up chocolate for Lent and she was so grumpy that we insisted she start eating it!! She worked in a corner shop that sold booze + confectionery so it wasn’t a good choice for her.

Michele

Seaside Karen said...

Ha ha Michelle I laughed when I read about your Mum! I gave up alcohol for Lent once and apparently I was so horrible my husband begged me never to abstain again lol!!

Anonymous said...

Hang my head in shame I'm not making pancakes this year. But childhood memories of my mother standing by the stove while she just tossed pancakes for what seemed like hours whilst myself, three brothers and my father tucked in to them time after time. Bless her. I hope I said thank you enough to her. JantheFan x
p.s. I'm getting all emotional now!!! Boyz look what you've done to me - again!!!