Wednesday 17 April 2019

The Greatest Showman is one of our most favourite films at the moment so you can imagine how Nigel was almost beside himself after getting the impression that Hugh Jackman was coming to Evesham with his Greatest Showman Tour, after spotting a poster outside one of the church's on the school run.
The little fella arrived home in full fluster, however after relating his story and a little research on my part sadly I had to gently burst his bubble. What the poster was actually offering was a five week course, of a religious type nature, using  excerpts from said The Greatest Showman to offer discussion points, biblical reflections and prayers.

I didn't want to put Nigel off, but I wasn't sure if he really wanted to explore what liberation and hope might look like for an outsider in the world in the song “A Million Dreams”, question the temptations of false fulfilment that can lead us to betrayal in “Never Enough” or ask what forms of resistance can be placed in the way of salvation in `Rewrite the Stars',
I wondered he might find it all a bit heavy especially when his beloved Hugh would definitely not be there in all full ringmaster regalia to, how shall I say, jolly it along.
It was up to him, but as an alternative I did suggest that on Easter Sunday, after Darrell’s much anticipated roast dinner we could perhaps settle down on the sofa to watch The Greatest Showman curtsey of Netflix, joining in with all the songs, in between tucking into our Easter eggs …..  and keep the questioning of temptation, betrayal and redemption for another day!  He’s still thinking about it! 

3 comments:

Mr.D said...

Poor Nigel, getting up his hopes like that.

I have never seen The Greatest Showman, but I might watch it, based on your views on it.

Anonymous said...

I too must watch The Greatest Showman - shame Mr D didn't live around my corner, we could watch it together perhaps. But alas our paths will probably never cross - but hopefully boyz - one day yours and mine will. You just never know!!! JantheFan x

Mr.D said...

JtF,
We are a bit too far away from each other to watch it together. You never know, our paths might cross, one day.