Monday 17 February 2020

High Action On The River

I promise, I don't spend all of my time standing, looking out of the window, but sometimes exciting things happen  and the other day was no exception .......
...... when I spotted that there was much action of a bright orange type nature on the other side of the river.
It was a group of hard hatted, florescently clad gentlemen, obviously in deep discussion, observing "our" railway bridge, swiftly followed by another two similarly decked gentlemen pulling alongside them on what looked like a rather makeshift raft, having traversed the river from goodness knows where.
They then appeared to anchor said raft on the bank for a while in order to continue their deliberations .......
 ....... before all clambering on board, followed again by much pointing to the central bridge support and the use of what looked like some sort of scientific measuring device ......... and some climbing!
I was totally absorbed, but I am afraid I had to relieve my post as both Darrell and I were on the nursery/school run (with Nigel in Belgravia), so what further drama ensued I just cannot say.
However, I did bump into Gary the Station Master at Evesham and he told me that there had been some concern over the safety of said central support, following the unprecedented pressure it had been put under during the recent flooding ....... he also added that he had heard that divers had been due to be sent down ...... all very dramatic!  I shall indeed be keeping a very watchful eye on the bridge for any further developments over the coming days.

As an aside, the most disconcerting thing I have seen on or in the river, so far, was a swimmer, wearing a professional looking swimming cap and towing a boy buoy behind them, a wild water swimmer perhaps?  They were swimming at such a pace that they were under the bridge before I could reach for the camera, however I was just sooooooooo grateful that Nigel wasn't at home at the time to witness such an event or else who knows what  manner of chaos could have ensued ........  that river is no place for a small monkey, with a taste of adventure and a tight pair of Speedos to swim.  

2 comments:

Mr.D said...

Whatever you do, don't let Nigel loose in a pirate costume. Who knows what havoc would ensue.

Anonymous said...

There's a lot of exciting things happen through your windows! JantheFan x