Wednesday 3 May 2023

The Lure Of The Open Road ……

Darrell has noticed, what he thinks to be a local bicycle club, meet early, every Wednesday morning, next to Bengeworth Fountain, by the island across the way from Lldl. 

IMG_1716IMG_1714

He has never seen them “take off” so he doesn’t know where they head off to when they are all assembled in their resplendent, responsible and very professional looking cycling attire.

IMG_1714

The thought of being clad in manly phosphorescence, the wind whistling through your helmet as you put your head down and pick up speed, does have a certain romantic lure for him ……….

IMG_1712

……. however, sans une bicyclette and for that matter, having never actually mastered the art of the saddle, being a martyr to his inability to balance (blaming his inner ear) plus the fear of taking both feet off the ground at the same time  for more than five seconds, is a touch tricky ……….

IMG_1717

……. so I don’t think we’ll be waving Darrell off to join said enthusiasts on their weekly jaunts for a little while (if ever) yet ……..

2 comments:

Mr.D said...

Poor Darrell.

I have been out on my bike twice, today. Only to the shops etc. I have a DayGlo yellow helmet, long-sleeved jersey and socks, which I use instead of bike clips, to keep my trousers clean. My afore-mentioned helmet has three lights - two flashing and one to shine right in motorists eyes, if they are about to pull out of a side road in front of me.

I look a bit like a Christmas tree. Yet still drivers don't see me.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Mr D - do be careful - of other drivers, some, not all, can be a nuisance at times.
Never mind Darrell about not riding a bike, from my son's experience they are a hazard waiting to happen. (sorry Mr D, I'm sure you are perfectly safe!) so Darrell, keep two feet firmly on the ground as much as possible! JantheFan x