Friday 4 August 2023

Getting More Than Our 5 A Day

Although we will admit to partaking in an extremely indulgent daily donut from our lovely beach donut seller ……..

IMG_2500

…… we’ve still manged to maintain our rigorous 5 a day regime quite easily as we have a couple market sellers who come to our beach selling local produce from the back of their trucks several times a day. Well, it would be rude not wouldn’t it, although, as they speak very little English, we are buying our grapes by the carrier bag full, rather than by the punnet, something we could never afford back home, where 500g seems a luxury!

IMG_2872

And then yesterday, we had cherries.  OMG, they are my true, number 1 choice of fruit, even though they generally give me a horrendous gassy tummy after indulging. Now, we really can’t afford them back home and if we do very occassionally splurge, they are not really all that special!

IMG_2874

So imagine yesterday my state of abject excitement when one of the trucks came with its back laden with crate upon crate of this wonderous delight. Let’s just say, I did not hold back …….

IMG_2876

I may be paying for it now with the aforementioned wind of a trapped nature type tummy ……….

IMG_2875

…… but oh boy, was it worth it for just 3 euros!  I thought I had died and gone to cherry heaven.

IMG_2546

And our very favourite drink at breakfast and on the town in the evening? Well, we’ve had to give up on the holiday cocktails as they are a tad too expensive these days, so it’s a sour cherry juice all the way! Darrell says that when we get back home, he’ll  look in our new local European corner shop  to see if they have any in their magnificent wall of coolers to help keep our holiday memories going. What are we like?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do hope your tummy was ok after eating all the cherries & a sour cherry drink.

Michele

Mr.D said...

Delicious and healthy. What's not to like? I haven't eaten cherries in ages.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Mr D. (not literally of course!) No cherry has passed my lips for a long time - a reason to visit Greece perhaps???? JantheFan x