Monday 5 August 2019

My Very First Greek Market

When I found out that there was a morning trip going from Georgioupolis to visit the indoor market in Chiana for just 12 euros, it was a no brainer, my passage was assured, this would be a totally new experience for me ..........
........ in all of our Greek Odysseys over the years we have never found a market in which to mooch.
It did not disappoint, although it would appear to cater an awful lot for the tourist, there was still plenty to see and buy ....... and I quickly availed myself of some choice Greek bakery items and a mahoooosive bag of cherries to eat on the coach on the journey back. 
I admit that there were a lot of the things I saw that I had seen many times before, but in such beautiful, historic surroundings it was really all about the hustle and bustle market atmosphere, the exotic smells, the sounds and being enticed to look a little closer by the stalls owners .........
 I am sure Darrell and Nigel would have loved it too so I WhatsApped them a couple of pictures.
I bought some lovely soap, a couple of magnets, a small bottle of olive oil, some Greek spices and an embroidery kit for Lucy. I ummmed and ahhhed over buying Darrell and Nigel some traditional slippers, but I could see Nigel going a*** over t** with pom poms and to be honest what may look sooooo perfect on holiday often looks completely out of place when you finally get back home.
Nigel would have loved the fish stalls, particularly poring over the more bizarre and monstrous looking ones wondering out aloud what they would taste like.
It was romantic to imagine that I was, for a moment, a native Cretan expertly selecting locally sourced products for my seafood platter tea, but to be honest if it doesn't come either breaded or battered I am ashamedly at a bit of a loss, but it's nice to dream......... 

3 comments:

Mr.D said...

What would have Darrell and Hugh made of these slippers? Would they have become the latest trend down London way, after Hugh shows them off to his showbiz friends?

Anonymous said...

I'm with you there Monkey, breaded or battered - thats me too! JantheFan x

Anonymous said...

P.s. - I'll take the slippers though! JantheFan x