Monday 5 June 2023

Comestibly Very Disappointed

With the Food Festival on over the weekend up at he park, it would have been rude of me not to pop down for a mooch, especially as I was in town anyway.

IMG_2227

With memories of the  Food Market at the Medieval Fayre being most impressive, I had dreams of returning to The Towers brandishing a ample bag of samosas and pakoras to save Darrell from thinking about tea, with perhaps a small truckle of exotic cheese to follow for supper ……..

IMG_2213IMG_2212

…….. or even a few cookies  and then, while I was at it, I thought I might treat myself to a little something, a kebab sprang to mind, to enjoy in the field before my trek home.

IMG_2214IMG_2215

Let’s just say …………………

IMG_2216

……. however, it disappointed, greatly!  There was no cheesemonger with samples to savour or small tasters of various cooked sausage on a stick, no artisan breads or local fruit, nuts or berries, let alone any local asparagus!

IMG_2224IMG_2223

I wandered round (it really didn’t take long) and though very nearly tempted by a generous German sausage, I just couldn’t justify the price.

IMG_2218

But, since I’d already told Darrell and Nigel where I was going I didn’t want to return home empty handed, so I thought some fudge to share during our evening of televisual viewing might be my best bet ……….

IMG_2221

OMG, I know the pieces look quite big but thank goodness I didn’t get carried away. After much deliberation I finally whittled it down to two ….. almond flake and salted caramel, however when I took them to be weighed I nearly passed out at the price, but was by that time too embarrassed to ask if I could possibly put one piece back.

IMG_2219

Let’s just say I could have had the aforementioned German sausage for almost what these two lumps cost me!  I am still in shock. When I get home they will be cut into microscopic pieces, with strict instructions that they are to be incredibly savoured, as I reckon even really posh fudge from Fortnum and Mason or Harrods wouldn’t even cost more per gram than these ……. I wonder what the price of gold is?

IMG_2225IMG_2226

Needless to say, this left me with no money whatsoever for a cheeky wee dip on the Hook a Duck or even an ice cream on the way home.  What are they like?

3 comments:

Mr.D said...

What a shame.

I wonder that, if they halved the price, would they sell something like four times as much?

Mr.D said...

WAT? No comment? My comment hasn't appeared. What's going on, Mum?

Anonymous said...

Yes, sometimes it's worth selling something a little cheaper as it reaps its rewards later down the line so to speak. But 1 piece of fudge and almond flake and no money left for Hook a Duck??? Outrageous (I blame Brexit myself)....I think questions should be asked in Parliament. Although I think you might not get much satisfaction on the benches what with BoJo and Sunak at loggerheads....it could take some time! JantheFan x