Wednesday 20 September 2017

A Rose Spelt By Any Other Way ……

I am pretty laid back about most things, life is just too short but I have to admit that there is a tiny little something that does occasionally get to me, and that’s the “fashion” for making new names from old, or being named after a seemingly random, person, place or thing, anything seems to go these days, too many to quote here. We saw a girl called Lemon at the X Factor Boot camp (watch out for her!) But it’s  funny how Brooklyn, Paris and India are all so romantic, whereas Wolverhampton or Kidderminster just don’t have that same ring (……. not yet anyway).
IMG_0020For me, this poster was a perfect example of the name changing trend, in my day this young, bespectacled lady would have been called Sue or Suzy/Susie  shortened perhaps from Susan or Suzanne etc. other derivatives available ……
IMG_0022……. but now she is “Sioux”, an Native American Tribe, shortened, as I am sure Mr D will inform us from the name Nadouessioux. But, I bet she still started off as a Susan and then decided to go all a la mode of a name type nature.
IMG_0021As for throwing letters up in the air to make a new name, well, I have seen the already modern name of Chelsea now spelt Chelci …….. so, in the spirit of all new trends that I cannot change ……. am now considering re-jigging my name and becoming Munnquay!

8 comments:

Di said...

I so need to stop reading your posts just before hopping into bed! Always get the giggles and it's a good way to end the day really I guess. But oh my, what a looong convention that was for you all - I hope the hotel (and that rippling floor) have recovered!

Hugs

Di xx

Need to check back through comments to see if Dianne is doing OK. Mrs A has had a few sad days at her Dad's funeral etc. - I promised I'd be in her pocket to help her along. She actually slapped me at one point for blowing my nose and wiping my eyes on the pocket lining - that's friends for you! x

Mr.D said...

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." So says Juliet to her Romeo.

I bow to your superior knowledge about the Sioux First Nations peoples in North America.

Thank you Munkee, Daril and Nijel, from Meesta Dee aka Senyor Feel.

Dianne said...

Certainly are some creative name choices about now as well as inventive spelling.....it can be difficult to sort through some of the spelling creativity.....I guess it has to be a case of to each his own as some of us try to sort it all out.....sooo happy to have some internet for more than two minutes!....Love, Dianne

Dianne said...

Mr. D, been watching the earthquake damage in Mexico and once again your heart breaks for the victims .....wishing safekeeping for you and your family for all that comes Mexico's way ........Best Wishes, Dianne

Anonymous said...

Munnquay, Dahrhyl & Nygell here's looking atcha bouyz. Jahnthuhfahn x

Mr.D said...

Hi Dianne,
Thanks for your good wishes. Mrs. D and I are fine and so are our family and friends. One of our apartments is fine, apart from some plasterwork. We haven't been to the other one yet.
It was very scary. There was a loud cracking noise and it was difficult walking to get outside.
Saludos,
Mr. D

Meatina said...

Oooh, possibly her parents were fans of Siouxie and the Banshees, and decided to name her after Siouxie Sioux?

Mr.D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.