Wednesday 17 July 2019

A Trip To Rethyminmon

I may not be able to pronounce it, but I still managed to book a taxi to take me to the nearby big town of Rethyminmon and collect me again afterwards ........ 
I am soooooo proud, I almost feel like a local!
I know I could have caught the bus, but I am not quite that brave a first time foreign solo traveller just yet!
It has to be said Rethyminmon did not disappoint.  I arrived towards the end of siesta time, so I was able to take in the sights while it was reasonably quiet ........  if not still very, very hot.
I do love a quaint Greek alley way ..........
........ and town square ..........
...... and of course a Greek church.!  I would have loved to have gone in as is my way, but there was a mass/service going on and I didn't want to be responsible for turning all the heads in the congregation with a distracting creaking of the door, no matter how romantic and atmospheric said creaking. On this occasion I shall just have to light my candle elsewhere. 
I did a little mooching, but was very restrained in my purchases especially as I didn't think Darrell would thank me for a evil eyed dream catcher, no matter how tempting, as it would most probably upset the aesthetics of his carefully put together interior decor ...... although, bless him,  he would never tell me but just discretely hide it away after an acceptable amount of time on display had passed.
I decided that a Greek pick and mix would be a much safer option .......... it would also be a gift that keeps on giving as the flavour of each sweet would be a complete mystery until sucked, as I didn't have a clue what I was putting in my bag, I just went for colour!
And when the heat finally got the better of me the historic Venetian harbour was a wonderful place to enjoy a cool drink before I got my taxi home.
As I watched the sun setting with my shot of raki, coffee and complementary nibbles it was almost too, too, too romantic.
Darrell would have loved it .......... and I promise, I really am missing both him and Nigel ........
......... but I am also relishing being alone with my thoughts and drinking everything in own my time and in my own way .........  in pure unadulterated Cretan bliss.

3 comments:

Mr.D said...

Delightful.

I love the photo of the lighthouse through the arch.

CraftyCoffey said...

Sounds like you’re having a fantastic time, the photos look amazing.

Michele

Anonymous said...

Bliss - just doesn't come near. JantheFan x