Monday 15 July 2019

Impossibly Romantic

Georgioupolis is small and impossibly romantic, Darrell would just love it here .............. he would definitely embrace all it's starry eyed qualities.
From my sunbed on the beach I can see the tiny white chapel of Agios Nikolaos built on a small rocky islet, in the middle of the sea, dedicated to Saint Nicholas, the protector of seafarers.
I know Darrell and Nigel would have scampered happily along the rocky causeway like young mountain goats, but I have to admit to being a little cautious where my knees are concerned, the left one in particular, and as such I have taken the decision, sorely tempted though I am, that it might be best to admire the chapel from a distance rather than risk said perilously uneven causeway  ........  especially after watching the comings and goings of much braver souls than I.
In the short while I have been here I have seen several weddings at the chapel ........
....... with brides equipped with trainers under their diaphanous wedding dresses. 
....... And in not wishing to risk any untoward catastrophe, the mystic of the little chapel will always remain with me.
As is tradition on all our Greek odysseys we always light a candle in a Greek church and as such I have lit one in my heart ...........
........ knowing that there is a church in the village I have yet to visit, where I can light one in "real life" I don't really do "God",  but if I did I would definitely, definitely be consecrated ordained as Greek Orthodox, because, in my opinion,  they really do do the best ever churches! 

3 comments:

Mr.D said...

What a delightful chapel.

Saint Nicholas, as legend has it, was noted for secret gift-giving and, hence, is better known as Santa Claus. Saint Nick, not to be confused with Old Nick. Heaven forbid. Here endeth today's lesson.

CraftyCoffey said...

Your decision so look at the Church from a distance is probably the safest option, don’t want to be traveling home with a leg in plaster!

Michele

Anonymous said...

I'm so envious....JantheFan x