Saturday 4 April 2020

The Halcyon Days Before ........Living In Lockdown - Day 12 - A Trip To The Oxfam Superstore With Lucy

*Please note - this post was put together before we went into meltdown

As you know all of us very much enjoy a good charity shop rummage and mooch, so when Lucy asked if I would like to go with her to visit the Oxfam Superstore in Oxford at the end of February it was a no brainer.
I am a huge fan of the Crazy Lamp Lady videos on You Tube where "goodwill/thrift" stores in America are absolutely mahoooosive, so I think both Lu and I were expecting/hoping for something bigger than the average charity shop here but perhaps not on the scale of the US.
 Needless to say, we were there as the doors opened ........
....... and yes, it was big, although I thought it might have been a touch bigger, however, it was very neatly sectioned and set up .......
....... but would it be awful if I admitted that we were both a little disappointed?  There just wasn't enough to keep us excitedly mooching for the amount of time we perhaps had anticipated.
I do love a bit of bric a brac but to be honest there was nothing, on this occasion, that had me rushing to fetch a basket.
There were a couple of teapots I admired and at £2.99 each I thought the price was just about right, but as we already have four Royal Doulton teapots, it would have been buying for buyings sake.  Lu admired them too, but in the end we both walked away.
I also admired this vase, but to be honest, the shelves at The Towers are pretty much full these days and I wasn't sure what Darrell might think of it.
However, despite all this, I did make three very small, but considered purchases ........
........ to wit, with Easter coming, two decorative chickens for 59p each that I thought Darrell might be able to weave into one of his seasonal displays .........
....... and for me, something I have wanted for ages but could never justify the price, ...... a line a day memory book ........
....... for just 99p I was like a dog with two bones!!
So in all a total spend of £2.17, call me the last of the big spenders!!  Sadly, Lucy didn't find anything that made her part with her money which was a shame after so much anticipation. We both decided that the store was somewhere we might pop into if we were passing and if it was open, but to be honest we'd probably have more charity shop fun and ooooo and ahhhhh moments in Evesham or Charity Shop Row (as we call it) in Worcester ......... but then that's just us!
XXX STAY HOME - STAY SAFE XXX

3 comments:

Mr.D said...

No charity shops or thrift shops in Mexico. Unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

A couple of considered purchases are a much better deal that a heap of dust collectors. I think you chose well. JantheFan x

Mr.D said...

My post hasn't appeared. What's going on?

I am partial to a charity shop.