Friday 20 August 2021

A Return To The Homeland

Instead of heading straight back to Evesham from Southport, Lu suggested we do a detour with an overnight stay back at hers ……..

Jade House. Bilbrook.

……. taking in a Chinese,  of which, despite trying every similar  establishment in Evesham, nothing comes close to a Jade House take away, they are to die for!

Jade House BilbrookJade House Take Away Bilbrook

Well, it would be rude to refuse such as kind invitation, but I knew it would feel a little emotional being “back home”. 

Return To BIlbrook

I have to say that even after five years it all felt so right. I had a feeling of knowing and belonging that I’ve still yet to feel in Evesham, does that make sense? And the buses …….. I can’t tell you how much I  miss those every 15 – 20 minutes buses.  In Evesham, we just don’t use the bus, it’s always quicker to walk than wait for an hour to go anywhere ……… and then you’ve got to get back ! 

Woodman Bilbrook

Everything felt so familiar and comforting, even if The Woodman was looking a little tatty round the edges.

Bilbrook Nr Woodman

Naturally, Nigel’s beloved Motor World was still there ……. still smelling exactly the same, with memories of Nigel’s little face, his nose stuck up against the window during those halcyon Nativity Days ……. happy happy days.

Mortor World Bilbrook

We’d driven past Castle Greysquirrel, it’s looking good, new windows and paintwork  …….. and we still exchange Christmas cards with “the new people”,  but I didn’t want to walk those extra few yards round the corner to see it up close, there would have been too many memories, it was best to leave them where they were ……….

4 comments:

Mr.D said...

I used to go in The Woodman some Friday lunchtimes, and I remember buying headlight bulbs and windscreen wipers in that Motor World. (Isn't there/wasn't there a bank next door?) My dentist was up the hill from The Woodman, on the right.

I have even been honoured to have been inside Castle Greysquirrel a number of times, many years ago.

Many memories, including George and his Banga bus.

When I first moved there, I used to cycle past The Woodman and Motor World, on my way home. Many happy memories, Mrs. G. xxx :)

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness I feel every word of that post, having just moved house ourselves. It's difficult at times........but Evesham will have things that Wolverhampton had not...I hope. JantheFan x

Di said...

This made us cry. We're sure you're happy where you are, sometimes memories and retracing old footsteps can play cruel tricks. Carpe diem (that's posh Latin BTW) our dear friends.We miss you and think of you often, Hugs and love, Hank and Marvin. xx

SeasideKaren said...

Oh that must have been lovely but emotional with so many memories being revisited. If that feeling of belonging won’t go away, maybe one day you’re destined to return? Our lives take many different paths, sometimes we make plans for them and sometimes they seem to direct our feet without any input from us. Never say never!