Wednesday 18 August 2021

A Southport Arcade Of An Historical Type Nature

I bet you thought I’d let you off very gently from another seaside post of gratuitous shots of me squandering my 2p’s in a Southport amusement arcade ……

Southport Pier. Old Penny Arcade

…… but unbeknownst to you I had the ace card hidden up my sleeve ……….

Old Penny Arcade SouthportIMG_2402

……. because I knew that Lu had planned a visit to the Southport Pier Pavillion with it’s a vintage arcade of old penny slot machines ……..

IMG_2408IMG_2407

……. how brilliant is that?

Southport Pier. Old Penny Arcade MachinesIMG_2416

For £1 a pop you can change your ill-gotten gains for ten real life, old fashioned pennies ……….. Mr D can work out the maths …….

IMG_2414Southport Pier. Old Penny ArcadeIMG_2405

……. to use in the machines, which felt so different, with their wooden casings and trims, less brash lighting and old fashioned sound effects …….

Old Penny Arcade Southport PierOld Penny Arcade. Southport

……. one or two of which were even a little bit risque I might add!

Southport Funland

With less pence to the pound in old money, my squanderment didn’t last all that long, but what price to feel a little bit historical!

IMG_2417IMG_2410

Happy days!

1 comment:

Mr.D said...

Great! 10d is about 4 new pence. (4 np) Mrs. G is far too young to remember this!

So, someone wise and foresighted enough to save a load of old pennies, would have done very well.

In the old system, there were 240 pennies in a pound.